Seven Loaves CommUnity
Summer Lunch Program
You CAN help feed 43,000 kids this summer! Seven Loaves is looking for Site Hosts (groups to "adopt" and host lunch all, or part, of the summer), Weekly Site Managers (volunteers to supervise lunch distribution for any week(s) at any of 5-7 sites) and Promotion Team (distribute door hangers and posters in apartments and merchants) so that TONS of kids can have FREE, fresh, healthy lunches 5 days a week (M-F) all summer!
TO VOLUNTEER FOR:
SITE HOST OR WEEKLY SITE MANAGER
TO BE ON A DAILY LUNCH TEAM:
Blue Ridge Park (Carpenter / Christie / Thomas) - CLICK HERE
McCallum Apartments (Jackson & Weatherford) - CLICK HERE
Haverwood Apartment Community (Huffman) - CLICK HERE
Which kids get the free lunches?
- ANY KID THAT SHOWS UP! NO QUALIFYING NEEDED! NOT REQUIRED TO BE PISD STUDENT - only need to be a kid18 or younger.
- Kids must eat their lunch at the distribution site – they are not permitted to take lunches home, or take to a sibling at home.
- The DISTRIBUTION SITES are qualified based on the % of children who are on free or reduced lunch during the school year at the school, if a school is a distribution site, or at the nearest school, if an alternate site is approved. For many children, the meals they get at school are the only meals they receive each day, so we are thrilled we can continue bringing them lunch during the summer.
What are a volunteer’s responsibilities?
- The distribution will last about 1 1/2 hours from start to finish. Volunteer tasks will include set up folding tables, count & accept lunch delivery from City Square, welcome kids, check off/add names to distribution lists, distribute lunches, clean-up sites, and submit distribution forms to Seven Loaves & City Square.
- Seven Loaves will require that each volunteer who comes in contact with children have a background check. These can be done by your agency so long as the Volunteer Chairs affirm there were no criminal results reported.
- The number of volunteer opportunities is virtually unlimited for this program! All kids need hugs and smiles! The number on your team which will really be limited only by how many background checks your Host Team will be able to pay for.
Do our volunteers need background checks? What does it cost? Who covers the cost?
- Seven Loaves always requires background checks for all volunteers who come in contact with kids. Background checks cost approximately between $4.50 - $6.00 and take a week to complete.
- Each site has a Host Group which will need to cover the cost of background checks.
- If you are not associated with a Host Group, a donation covering the cost of your background check will be greatly appreciated.
- Arrangements can be made for Seven Loaves to run the background checks and invoice the Host Group for reimbursement at cost.
When does Summer Lunch begin and end?
- Summer Lunch distribution begins on Monday, June 4. The last day of distribution is Friday, August 24.
- There are TWELVE (12) WEEKS OF LUNCH DISTRIBUTIONS PLANNED! THAT MEANS THAT TOGETHER WE WILL POTENTIALLY DISTRIBUTE 43,200 LUNCHES!!